During 2016, we came across all sorts of interesting facts and stats about Social Media platforms and users, so we collected the best of them in the following list.
For marketers, these statistics can help in developing strategies to ensure you are targeting the audience you want to reach in the most effective way.
Social media statistics
- For context, as of July 2015, total worldwide population is 7.3 billion.
- The internet has 3.17 billion users.
- There are 2.3 billion active social media users.
- 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels.
- Internet users have an average of 5.54 social media accounts.
- Social media users have risen by 176 million in the last year.
- 1 million new active mobile social users are added every day. That’s 12 each second.
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion messages a day.
Social media business statistics
- Social networks earned an estimated $8.3 billion from advertising in 2015.
- People aged 55-64 are more than twice as likely to engage with branded content than those 28 or younger.
- 96% of the people that discuss brands online do not follow those brands’ owned profiles.
- Google processes 100 billion searches a month.
- That’s an average of 40,000 search queries every second.
- 89.3% of all internet searches are carried out by Google.
- Those searches are carried out by 1.17 billion unique users.
- Every day, 16 to 20% of that day’s queries have never been asked before.
- Google has answered 450 billion unique queries since 2003.
- More than half of Google’s searches come from mobile devices.
- By 2014, Google had indexed 30,000,000,000,000 pages of the internet.
- To carry out all these searches, Google’s data centre uses 0.01% of worldwide electricity.
- Initially called Facemash, then Thefacebook.
- Facebook has 12,691 employees.
- Mark Zuckerberg’s salary is only $1 a year.
- Which isn’t really a problem when your net worth is $48.9 billion.
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day; 6 new profiles every second.
- Half of internet users who do not use Facebook themselves live with someone who does.
- Of those, 24% say that they look at posts or photos on that person’s account.
- There are an estimated 81 million fake Facebook profiles.
- The most popular page is Facebook for Every Phone, with 509.772.152 likes.
- Facebook now sees 100 million hours of daily video watch time.
- Users generate 4 million likes every minute.
- More than 250 billion photos have been uploaded to Facebook.
- This equates to 350 million photos per day.
- There are 50 million active small business Pages.
- But only 2.5 million of those businesses pay to be ‘active advertisers’.
- Posts published on Thursday and Friday receive the highest engagement.
- 40% of users don’t like any brand pages – meaning paid adverts are the only way to reach them.
- Videos earn the highest rate of engagement.
- There are 400 million Monthly Active Users on Instagram.
- Over 80 million photos are uploaded each day.
- 90 percent of Instagram users are younger than 35.
- When Instagram introduced videos, more than 5 million were shared in 24 hours.
- Pizza is the most popular Instagrammed food, behind sushi and steak.
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- There are 3.25 billion hours of video watched each month.
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
- 9% of U.S small businesses use YouTube.
- 500 million people visit Twitter each month without logging in.
- There is a total of 1.3 billion accounts, but only 320 million are active.
- Of those, 44% made an account and left before ever sending a Tweet.
- 391 million accounts have no followers at all.
- There are 500 million Tweets sent each day. That’s 6,000 Tweets every second.
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to go from the first Tweet to the billionth.
- 77% of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand when their Tweet has been replied to.